Students Donate Their Locks for Cancer Patients

Apr 13th, 2015

The photo features HPU student Rebecca Rausch showing off the 8 inches of hair she donated to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which will make her hair into a wig for a cancer patient.

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 13, 2015 – High Point University students lined up to donate their hair for cancer patients who aren’t able to have hair on campus on April 12. The event, Cuts for Cancer, allows anyone to donate at least 8 inches of their hair to be made into wigs for cancer patients who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford it at Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

“What is really special about this event is that it is something that draws the entire university together,” says Haley McKeown, HPU student and organizer of the event. “HPU is a family, and cancer has affected us all in some way, directly or indirectly. During Cuts for Cancer you see volunteers representing organizations from all over campus from Greek life, sports teams, college life and more. It doesn’t just target one group of people.”

HPU student Grace Manser donated her hair this year in honor of her sister who has recently been diagnosed with leukemia.

“The day that I found out my 15-year-old sister Lizzie was diagnosed with leukemia was the day that flipped my family’s world upside down,” says Manser. “She has always been my inspiration, but now even more so than ever. After going wig shopping with her and a week later FaceTiming with her on the night she cut her own gorgeous long hair, I knew I wanted to do something. I watched her smile through tears as my dad shaved her head, which both broke my heart and empowered me. I cut my hair in honor of her and hope that my hair will one day encourage another girl like Lizzie.”

The photo features HPU students Molly Couick (left) and Grace Manser (right) cutting their locks for the Cuts for Cancer event.

Ben Habicht is the only male who donated his hair and has not had a hair cut in over a year just for the event.

“When I started this whole thing, donating it was the goal, not the look,” says Habicht. “The reality is, people are waiting for wigs and they aren’t going to come unless we do something about it. I am grateful that I am healthy and able to donate my hair to this cause.”

The event was hosted by HPU’s Class of 2017.

After the locks were cut, students received free haircuts and styles from Avanti Salon and Spa in High Point.