Class of 2015 Profile: Taylor McAuliffe Works Toward Juris Doctor

Name: Taylor McAuliffe

Hometown: Germantown, Maryland

Major: McAuliffe graduated with a B.A. in International Relations and a B.A. in Spanish on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: McAuliffe will attend the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law to pursue her Juris Doctor. After receiving her J.D., McAuliffe plans to work for a large law firm in the Maryland area.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s breathtaking campus, passionate professors and dedicated staff inspired me every day to work hard in order to reach my goals for the future. Whenever I needed extra help or further explanation all I had to do was ask. I knew my professors cared about my success and were willing to do everything in their power to help me succeed. While attending HPU I realized I never want to live a mediocre or ordinary life. I want to live an extraordinary life of significance – and that life began with the extraordinary education I received at HPU. I look forward to using my law degree to make as great of a positive impact as I possibly can.

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My advisor, Dr. Mark Setzler, was a great mentor. He gave me practical advice about law school and life in general. I will always remember how he encouraged me to take Calculus my first semester at HPU instead of taking the lower level required course. He knew I could handle the challenge based on my high school course work and test scores even when I was not sure. And he knew that in the long run, the rigor of courses I took would be of greater importance than the A’s on my transcript. Dr. Setzler always encouraged me to challenge myself instead of taking the easy way out. I know my time at HPU has prepared me for the many challenges I will face in the future.”

McAuliffe during her semester abroad in Morocco

Most impactful moment at HPU: “In my Spanish seminar course with Dr. Adam Winkel this year, I studied the portrayal of the Spanish Civil War using the movie Pan’s Labyrinth as a representation. I had the unique opportunity to present my research at High-PURCS this year, HPU’s Research and Creativity Symposium. While the process of doing research is not always fun, I was incredibly proud of the work I did. There were only about ten students in my class and throughout our research and writing processes, we encouraged and gave each other useful advice and constructive criticism leading up to our High-PURCS presentations. This collaboration and sharing of ideas was very beneficial and helped make our presentations the best they could be. When I started college I never thought I would be capable of doing research, writing and presenting in Spanish. When I presented at High-PURCS in Spanish it felt great to experience the results of all the hard work and time I had dedicated both to my Spanish major and to my research.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of all the incredible opportunities to make the most of your time at HPU. Unfortunately, college doesn’t last forever and you will graduate taking with you only the memories you have made at HPU. From study abroad to Greek life to the numerous clubs and activities on campus, there truly is something for everyone. I was a part of the Phi Mu sorority and studied abroad in Seville, Spain during my junior year. Over the summer, I interned for a global court reporting company called Planet Depos headquartered in Washington, D.C. I will carry these memories with me along with the new skills and knowledge I gained during my time at HPU.”