Student Receives Valuable Interior Design Skills at Internship

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 14, 2015 – High Point University rising junior Miriam Webster is receiving hands-on experience in the interior design industry through her summer internship at Elle’ Design Interiors in her hometown, Charlotte.

Webster’s responsibilities include space planning furniture for projects and clients, ordering fabric and paint samples, selecting textiles and finishes for clients, editing floor plans, visiting project sites and taking site measurements.

Webster has had the opportunity to work on various commercial projects during her internship thus far. Since her long-term goal is to become a commercial interior designer who specializes in retirement living, she has been given the opportunity to focus on a retirement home that is under construction in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina. She has been able to select furniture, paint colors, fabrics for furnishing and visit the building construction site.

“By working on a retirement home, I have been able to see firsthand aspects of what it is like to work on a retirement community project,” says Webster. “It is a blessing to work on a job that is specific to what I am pursuing in the field of interior design.”

Webster credits her success at her internship to HPU. She says her knowledge of design language and construction has helped when talking to her boss and clients. The space planning furniture class she took has been one of the most helpful and gave her valuable information about the working interior design world.

“My coursework at HPU has given me remarkable skills that I am using in the professional world,” says Webster. “I am very grateful to High Point University and my amazing professors for providing me with the best possible education.”