Alumni Outcomes: Finding Success in the Big Apple

Reed Schneider wakes up at 6:30 a.m. and takes the subway into Manhattan every morning on the R train.

He arrives at a 32-story high-rise building just a stone’s throw from Central Park. His glass-walled office building offers a rewarding view over the hustle and bustle of Third Avenue.

Every time he sees it, he knows he’s arrived.

Schneider is an account executive at Weber Shandwick, a global public relations firm with offices in 81 countries. His primary focus is on corporate and financial services communications for large clients such as Bank of America, Ernst & Young, ADP and Nielsen. He supports clients through media relations, earnings, marketing materials, executive visibility and more.

He’s living his dream after he received his educational foundation at High Point University.

A Firm Foundation

A native of Charlotte, North Carolina, Schneider first toured HPU during his junior year of high school in 2008. He went on to attend HPU as a Presidential Scholar and electronic media major, work as a resident assistant, anchor the weekly HPU TV broadcast, join a fraternity and study abroad in Rome.

He graduated from HPU in 2013 with a communication degree in electronic media. That paved the way for graduate school at New York University, where he received his master’s in public relations and corporate communication in 2015.

At the center of it all, Schneider says his time at HPU prepared him for life in New York City.

“HPU provided me with the necessary communication skills to both begin my graduate degree and eventually land a job at an international public relations firm. My professors challenged me in new ways and even for things that I felt I had mastered, they pushed me to set new goals and work to achieve them.”

Big City Living

An average day for Schneider is filled with client meetings, media pitches and reporter inquires. He also hosts a corporate podcast the company recently launched, during which he interviews guests about trends, events and best practices in the public relations industry.

It’s during moments like those when Schneider flashes back to his time as an HPU student, when he anchored HPU TV.

“During my senior year, we produced shows each week in the Nido Qubein School of Communication building’s studio,” he says. “I was one of the anchors and it was one of the most challenging but rewarding class experiences I’ve had. The company podcast is a little different because it’s audio-only, but each time the director counts down to 1 and then says ‘We’re live,’ it brings me back to my days doing the student news broadcasts at High Point.”

He says current students should take advantage of everything HPU has to offer to help them excel post-graduation.

“Study abroad, get help at the student tutor center and meet with your professors outside of class when you need help,” he says. “Go to the career services center. Talk to your advisor about what you want to do after you graduate and get advice. HPU offers students so much and it is all there to help you. Use it.”