Student Presents Short Story at English Honor Society Conference

HIGH POINT, N.C., March 4, 2016 – High Point University senior Christian Garber was selected to read his short story, “Pizzadot,” at the 2016 Sigma Tau Delta convention on March 4 in Minneapolis. Garber was among students from across the country and alumni of Sigma Tau Delta, a national honor society for English majors, invited to read work at the conference.

An English major from Cazenovia, New York, Garber wrote the story in Dr. Jacob Paul’s creative writing course at HPU as a parody of the play “Waiting for Godot.” In his story, the characters are waiting for a pizza deliveryman. He won an award for the story through HPU’s Phoenix Festival in November.

“I really enjoy sarcastic writing with heavy amounts of dialogue. I like to take things that would normally be seen as minimal and blow them up to make them a huge ordeal,” says Garber, who plans to continue pursuing his interest in writing fiction and become an author. “I have had so many professors leave a heavy influence on my writing. HPU’s courses have really helped develop my writing skills and my voice as a writer.”

Garber is president of the HPU English Club and a member of Sigma Tau Delta. The conference was recommended to him by Dr. Laura Alexander, who advises HPU’s Sigma Tau Delta chapter.