Student Awarded American Association of University Women Scholarship

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 7, 2016 – High Point University sophomore Melanie Maldonado was awarded an American Association of University Women (AAUW) Scholarship from the Greensboro Branch of AAUW. With this scholarship, Maldonado will attend the AAUW National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL) this June at the University of Maryland.

NCCWSL provides a transformative experience for attendees and prepares them to be the next generation of leaders. Maldonado, a psychology major and women’s and gender studies minor, plans on using this conference to foster leadership skills to bring back to campus.

“Attending a conference like NCCWSL is valuable because it allows students to network with other people across the nation that are working toward a common goal, which for this conference, is empowering women,” said Maldonado. “Learning these skills and getting new ideas for advocacy is important because students like myself will be able to bring these ideas back to their campus.”

Maldonado is an aspiring doctor, and hopes that this conference will be a learning experience that will help her in the future.

“This conference is going to help me build leadership skills that I need in order to be successful as a team member,” said Maldonado. “I want to be able to host free health fairs with routine check-ups in the future. With the skills learned and practiced on campus from this conference, I believe I can make that a possibility. It all starts with the baby steps.”