Senior Interns with Tech Start-up

Kirstie PrattHIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 29, 2016 – Senior Kirstie Pratt spent her summer in Ashburn, Virginia, as a marketing and growth intern for Solebrity, a new online shopping app that pays shoppers when friends buy the shopper’s endorsed items.

Pratt, a strategic communication major from Leesburg, Virginia, says that the internship gave her the opportunity to experience a tech start-up from the launch to marketing the product and gaining users through social media, email campaigns and events.

She says that the company’s goal is to deliver the smartest, most rewarding shopping experience and that the app allows users to become social celebrities – the inspiration for the company’s name.

“The best part of my internship was when the company sponsored DC Swim Week, a week-long swimwear fashion show,” says Pratt. “We got to attend all the events and speak with models and investors and see how the fashion show worked from behind the scenes.”

Kirstie Pratt (center) poses for a photo with fellow interns Michele Byers (left) and Angela Pathammavong (right) at a DC Swim Week red carpet event held at the Penthouse Pool and Lounge in Washington, D.C.

Kirstie Pratt (center) poses for a red carpet photo with fellow interns Michele Byers (left) and Angela Pathammavong (right) at a DC Swim Week event held in Washington, D.C.

Pratt says this experience proved to her that HPU has given her all the tools necessary to be successful in the real world.

“The classes I’ve taken at HPU helped me out when it came to my internship,” says Pratt. “My experience in my public relations class taught me how to write press releases, headlines, feature stories and public service announcements, while my mediated communications class helped me create original content for all of Solebrity’s social media accounts.”

Pratt says that the lessons she learned from her internship will be easily applied to her final year at HPU. After working with a group of 12 other college students to execute projects and grow the company’s brand, Pratt says that working with a large group on class projects will feel natural.

“Also, I feel so much more confident in my talents and abilities,” says Pratt. “That’s going to help me this year with looking and interviewing for jobs.”