Students Fill 1,100 Stockings for Local Children

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 16, 2016 – When the Salvation Army of High Point’s delivery van pulled up to the High Point University campus, students and staff were ready to fill it with stockings and gifts for local children.

The Salvation Army’s goal this year was to collect 1,600 stockings from across the city. Thanks to the leadership of HPU’s Student Government Association and multiple groups across campus, HPU filled 1,100 of those stockings, or nearly 70 percent of the total goal.

HPU’s SGA stuffed 750 of the total 1,100 stockings that the university donated.

“This event is important for me as Student Government Association president because I was part of a family who received gifts like this when I was younger,” said Rachel Callaway, HPU senior. “When I was approached with this opportunity, I knew I wanted to make it something big. I think it’s important for our students to see that we’re giving back to the community and the people around us.”

For the last six years, the HPU campus has answered the call to make Christmas bright for local children through the Salvation Army’s Stuff a Stocking program.

“HPU is a tremendous blessing to us in the process,” said Hannah Joyce, marketing and development coordinator for the Salvation Army of High Point. “Without the university’s help, we couldn’t have served thousands of children over the last several years. We’re also thankful for the HPU Community Center where we’re storing these stockings and our Angel Tree gifts. Last year, we ran out of room for these gifts, so we don’t know what we would have done this year without the Community Center space.”