Class of 2017 Profile: Leah Pieniadz Audits for Big Four Firm in NYC

Leah Pieniadz

Name: Leah Pieniadz

Hometown: Oakdale, Connecticut

Major: Pieniadz will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Pieniadz accepted a position as an Audit Associate at KPMG, one of the Big Four accounting firms, in New York City. In her position, Pieniadz will audit financial statements for public and private companies.

How HPU helped you get there: “In my classes, my professors have always been caring and helpful, which has not only helped me succeed academically, but has also developed my soft skills, such as my confidence and work ethic. In addition, my time working as an RA and exercise instructor was a great opportunity to expand on these soft skills and round out my communication skills.

During one class junior year, Bridget Holcombe came to speak to us about preparing resumes and developing interview skills. Right after that class I reached out to her and together we spent weeks practicing interview questions and updating my resume and LinkedIn. With her help I felt confident approaching my professional interviews and engagements with KPMG.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “At the end of the day, it’s hard to choose just one mentor that I’ve had at HPU. All of my accounting professors and personal advisors have made a tremendous impact. In particular, I have to thank Bridget Holcombe, not only for helping me land an internship at KMPG, but for also teaching me the critical skills that I will take forward with me as I start my career. I’m so appreciative of her time, guidance, and what she does for HPU!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Thinking back on my last four years, I think that the most impactful moment of my time at HPU was the ‘Meet the Firms’ event put on by the accounting department. At this event I was introduced to a partner who worked at KMPG who described the internship opportunities being offered in their New York City office. I had dreamed of having the opportunity to work for a Big Four accounting firm, and with the help of this event, I was able to talk with current employees who provided an honest perspective on their career. As it turned out, moving to Manhattan last summer was one of the best experiences of my life and I am very much looking forward to moving there this summer and starting my career.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize career services as early as you can! If you maintain a good relationship with someone in that office, there is no doubt that career services will do everything they can to help you become successful after graduation.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.