Class of 2017 Profile: Nick Bellamy Furnishes his Future at Pottery Barn

: Nick Bellamy

Hometown: Carmel Valley, California

Major: Bellamy will graduate with a degree in Visual Merchandising on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Bellamy has accepted a position with Pottery Barn in San Francisco, California. As an Assistant Buyer, he will help the buyer with developing business strategies and seasonal assortment plans to maximize the development of the brand, sales and profits for a department or assigned area. Bellamy will identify opportunities and recommend new products or concepts and coordinate information across functions, working closely with Design, Inventory Management, Sourcing, Production, Packaging and Visual departments to ensure the process is followed and timelines met. He will manage visual signage and coordinate production of in-store collateral and product information binders. Bellamy will also attend and participates in design meetings. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me prepare for a future by surrounding me with opportunities and individuals that gave valuable insight into the professional post grad world. Being a Visual Merchandising student here and having the opportunity to not only work at the furniture market during market season but also being able to hold an internship with a company while taking classes at HPU helped prepare me for a full-time career. The opportunities that HPU is able to offer students majoring in design, business, and sales at the High Point Furniture Market are so valuable and hard to find at other learning institutions across the country. 

Also, I worked with Career and Professional Development Services throughout my entire internship and job search process. From help searching for jobs and internships that would fit my wants and needs to advice on resumes and cover letters, they were truly there throughout the entire process. Perhaps the most valuable asset that they were able to offer me was having people to talk to about opportunities and help narrow down the options that were best for myself and my career goals. ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “When I think back on my time at HPU, two individuals stand out as people who have always had great advice for me when I was faced with a tough decision. Lindsay Kremer and Doug Hall have always been there with great advice for me on job and internship opportunities. They always knew the right questions to ask and the right tips to give to help me arrive at the best decision for me and my future. They were always willing to help me with my job and internship searches even if it was just having time for a quick conversation about small things that I didn’t need to stress about. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU
: “When I received my first internship offer my freshman year. That was the moment when I think I had my first taste of the real world. It was after that moment that I realized HPU was preparing me for not only my life beyond college but also for a future that was just a few months away in a professional internship. It was at that point I realized that I had so many opportunities in front of me that I could pursue and that there was truly unlimited potential for those who set their minds to something and really go after what they want in the world. ”

Advice for underclassmen: “I think the biggest piece of advice that I could offer underclassmen is to never shy away from an opportunity that is given to you. Take on new challenges when they are in front of you and give them your all. Put in the extra hours that others aren’t putting into work because that is what will make you stand out in class and in an internship, and that is what will get you the opportunities that others aren’t getting.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2017 here.