HPU Announces Academic and Professional Achievements

Apr 12th, 2017

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 12, 2017 – High Point University faculty, staff, students and alumni recently received the following academic and professional awards and recognitions.

Alumna Selected for Mississippi Teacher Corps

Christine Rickert, a 2016 HPU graduate who majored in international relations, political science and Spanish, was selected for the Mississippi Teacher Corps. Through the fellowship, she will be teaching English and Spanish and coaching women’s track and field at a critical-needs high school in Mississippi. She will also pursue a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction at the University of Mississippi, which is fully funded through the program.

“I wanted to join the Mississippi Teacher Corps because I have always been interested in educational inequality,” says Rickert. “After visiting my ‘little sister’ at a local school every week through Big Brothers Big Sisters, I realized if I ever wanted to affect change at the policy level I needed to first get hands-on experience. Better than any other program of its kind, MTC prepares non-education majors to be effective and successful in the classroom. I am very excited to start my experience in Mississippi this summer.”

“We are so proud of Christine for all her hard work and dedication,” says Dr. Meredith Malburne-Wade, director of the Office of Fellowships and Awards. “This opportunity uniquely and perfectly combines her intellectual interests, her dedication to education, and her passion for service.”

Professors Participate in Economic Forecast Panel

Three HPU professors provided an overview of economic trends during an economic forecast forum hosted by the High Point Chamber of Commerce on March 30. Kathy Elliott, assistant professor of the practice of entrepreneurship and director of the Center for Entrepreneurship, and Dr. Peter Summers, assistant professor of economics, served as panelists. Dr. Daniel Hall, assistant professor and chair of the Department of Economics, served as moderator for the panel, which also included speakers from BB&T and the state office of the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Daniel Hall
Kathy Elliott
Peter Summers

“We are grateful for the opportunity to partner with the High Point Chamber of Commerce to give our economic outlook,” says Hall. “I enjoyed witnessing the esteemed panelists bringing their unique perspectives on what current economic trends and policy developments mean for the High Point business community.”

Academic Services Director Plans Conference for International Educators

Dr. Craig Curty, director of academic services at HPU, served as the planner for this year’s North Carolina Association of International Educators State Conference. Hosted at HPU for the first time, the conference brought together 240 international education professionals from across the state. Curty is on the organization’s board and served as chairman in 2014-15.

“The NCAIE State Conference supports professionals who advocate for the education of international students and scholars, as well as international education and cultural exchange,” says Curty. “This conference is a fantastic opportunity for a collegial exchange of ideas from international education stakeholders to promote professional development and growth opportunities across North Carolina and beyond.”

Athletic Training Major Earns National Scholarship

Emma Zuk, a senior athletic training major at HPU, received the Donald J. Fauls Memorial Scholarship for $2,300 from the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research & Education Foundation Scholarship Committee. She will be recognized at the organization’s national convention in June. At HPU, Zuk has participated in ongoing research with athletic training faculty to study how hip strength and flexibility may contribute to knee injuries in youth athletes. She has also served in several leadership roles with the Sports Medicine Club. The scholarship will support her in pursuing a master’s degree in exercise science at the University of Connecticut.

“High Point University has given me the confidence to truly reach for goals I did not even think possible,” says Zuk. “Majoring in athletic training has provided me with the skills to think critically in all situations, and being able to present in multiple national conferences has certainly prepared me for graduate school. Dr. Yum Nguyen has been my mentor throughout my four years, and he has been so inspirational.”

Student Selected to Serve National Role in Zeta Tau Alpha

Caylee Henderson, a senior criminal justice major at HPU, has been selected for a one-year appointment as a leadership consultant for Zeta Tau Alpha. She will serve the sorority’s national headquarters by providing mentorship and leadership to sorority chapters throughout the country to ensure success on their campuses. As a student at HPU, Henderson has been heavily involved in ZTA. She has represented the sorority as a Greek Week representative, member of the Panhellenic board, Executive Council member, and most recently, chapter president during the 2016-17 academic year.

“Serving as a leadership consultant will give me the opportunity to travel throughout the United States for the next year visiting various collegiate chapters, enabling and facilitating growth and development in young women,” says Henderson. “This role will open me up to new experiences and opportunities. It will definitely be a trying year full of ups and downs, but I believe it will facilitate self growth that will help me achieve professional goals in the future.”

Chemistry Professor Named to Advisory Board

Dr. Heather Miller, assistant professor of chemistry at HPU, was appointed to the Duke University Graduate Training Advisory Board. The board includes faculty, scientists and professionals from the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries who guide curriculum development and career opportunities for graduate science programs. Through this appointment, Miller will elevate the presence of HPU in the medical and scientific community.

“Students I interact with here at HPU are applying to various Ph.D. programs and medical schools,” says Miller. “As these spots become more and more competitive, it will only help for faculty from research institutions like Duke to become more familiar with our university and our strengths in undergraduate teaching, research and scholarly activity.”