Class of 2021 Joins HPU Family

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 19, 2017 – Two years ago, Sheri and Kevin Mullen of Villanova, Pennsylvania moved their daughter into her residential hall at High Point University. Today, they did the same for their son, Sean.

On the fifth floor of Blessing Hall, they unpacked, knowing that as their second child moves to campus, he’s joining a true family.

“I very much believe in the values of this school,” said Sheri Mullen. “It’s a great place where you want your kids to grow up. They feel comfortable and safe here because it’s like a family. One that’s made up of not just campus, but also the surrounding community – it creates one strong unit.”

“I think it’s great how the school brings business and industry leaders to the students,” said Kevin Mullen. “You’ve got Steve Wozniak from Apple and the Netflix Co-founder right here on campus. Any resource a student could possibly want or need is right here.”

More than 700 HPU faculty, staff and student volunteers welcomed the Class of 2021 to the HPU family. Despite the bustle of HPU’s annual Welcome Week, which attracts more than 15,000 visitors to the city, the volunteers kept lines running smoothly, unpacked cars for families and greeted each student with a cheer.

The familial bond new students experienced reflects what they can expect during their next four years at HPU. Mentorship is a key component of that, with Freshman Success Coaches, Career Advisors and industry leaders counseling students from their first moments on campus.

“When we enroll a student at High Point University, we commit to their success,” President Nido Qubein said.

To view more Welcome Week photos, click here

Lauren Canfield moved into Finch Hall, a living and learning community for students in HPU’s Honors Scholar Program.

“Today has been so welcoming,” said Canfield, from Torrington, Connecticut. “I could not have imagined a smoother process. I’m looking forward to meeting new people, majoring in political science and potentially working in Washington, D.C. someday. I think the Honors Scholar Program will give me that extra push.”

“I remember my sister coming here two years ago and thinking that this was something I’d like to do, and now that I’m actually here it’s an extraordinary feeling,” said Sean Mullen. “I didn’t come to HPU just because it’s what I know from my sister. I toured a lot of other schools, but ultimately this university is the one where I could see myself fitting in, and it’s the university that offered all of the outlets I was looking for.”

HPU Career Advisor Doug Hall has volunteered on Move-In Day for five consecutive years because he understands the importance of welcoming and connecting with students upon their arrival. 

“I love the camaraderie of this day and working with my colleagues to show students that we are a family here,” he said. “This tells them, ‘We are here for you and we will support you on your way to graduation and beyond.’”

“The university’s reputation, the education, the family-oriented atmosphere – all of it brought us here,” said Chris Valerian of Glen Ridge, New Jersey. “I knew this would feel like home and our daughter Anna would be welcomed here.”

The Class of 2021 becomes part of the largest total enrollment in HPU history – nearly 5,000 total students this year. Classes for the semester begin on Aug. 22.

Move-In Day by the Numbers:

— Approximately 5,000 total students enrolled

— 15,000 total visitors (including family members of new and returning students)

— 700 faculty, staff and upperclassman volunteers

— 100 hand trucks