Senior Interns at the White House

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 31, 2017 – CeAnna Soper, a senior at High Point University, was one of 138 individuals from across the country selected to serve as an intern for the White House this summer.

The strategic communication major from Hartland, Wisconsin, worked in the Office of Presidential Gift and Protocol, where she learned many of the requirements and traditions surrounding gifts to the administration.

Soper’s responsibilities included drafting briefings for senior staff members, logging and organizing gifts received from the public and foreign officials, and ensuring compliance with gift laws and proper protocol.

“I drafted a binder for senior staff members and the First Lady with the gifts they received and the circumstances of the gift,” Soper says. “Each foreign trip the president went on merited its own shipment of gifts received overseas. Every morning walking in the office was so exciting wondering what we would be opening that day.”

When Soper applied for the internship, she knew it would be competitive, but thanks to the help of HPU’s Office of Career and Professional Development, she was confident in her resume and interviewing skills.

“HPU has helped me attain the confidence to take risks,” she says. “I’m grateful for the resources available and the staff ready to help.”

The experience has revealed many possible career paths that Soper will explore in her upcoming job search.

“Interning in the White House has opened my eyes to so many career options I didn’t know existed,” she says. “I have so much respect for the work these people are doing and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here being surrounded by the talented staff members. I would love to return to Washington, D.C., in some capacity, whether that be working for the administration or in the private sector.”