Class of 2017 Profile: Kirsten Roberts Plans Events for Quaintance-Weaver Hotels and Restaurants

Name: Kirsten Roberts

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Major: Roberts graduated with a major in Strategic Communication and a minor in Event Management on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Roberts joins the Quaintance-Weaver Hotels and Restaurants sales team as a wedding sales account manager. She will work to bring guests’ dream social events come to life at the Proximity and O. Henry Hotels in Greensboro, North Carolina. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me to discover my passion for Event Planning and provided me with mentors and peers who supported me in my undergrad years, as well as with valuable opportunities that helped me gain experience toward my career goals. I was also frequently inspired by guest speakers brought in by HPU and professors within my major, as well as by the strong, determined women I shared my four years with.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My event management professor, Vern Biaett, always believed in my event planning and leadership potential, and helped me to find volunteer opportunities that meshed with my interests, including leading student planning committees for Communication Week and a couple of conferences hosted by HPU.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Listening to Condoleezza Rice’s commencement speech in 2016 about following one’s passion.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Believe that you can do it and continually take steps toward your goals. Internships and actual experience you can put on your resume are essential when it comes to landing a job, even if its just seasonal work.”