Class of 2017 Profile: Shinn LaMachio Begins Career as Government Contractor

Name: Shinn LaMachio

Hometown: Olive Branch, Mississippi

Major: LaMachio graduated with a major in Business and a minor in Finance on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: LaMachio joins CSRA, a government contractor that works with the Social Security Administration as well as other government agencies, as a program assistant. He will assist and support IT professionals on maintaining and improving the technology department at the United States Social Security Administration and work closely with program managers to monitor progress and analyze data. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me to become more comfortable socially and through that growth, I was able to hone my interview skills and turn myself into an ideal candidate.”  

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Little in the business department was just a really cool guy. I really enjoyed his class, and he taught in a way that was fun, didn’t leave anyone behind, and made me really excited to go to class everyday.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Performing with Musical Theater was a new experience for me. For me, it was opening up and performing with friends, which was something I’d never done before but always wanted to do. Dr. Scott Macleod and Dr. Ben Blozan made me feel welcome even though I wasn’t officially in the music department.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “Start looking for jobs early and diversify you’re experiences. Learn to get along with people from every walk of life, because if you only know how to work with one person, you won’t get very far.”