HPU Hosts Congdon Hall Community Open House

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 27, 2017 – Hundreds of High Point community members attended Thursday night’s High Point University Community Open House for the newly constructed Congdon Hall.  

The event was free and open to the public and provided community members with a special look inside of the state-of-the-art facility, complete with presentations and Q&A sessions, as well as health screenings and self-guided tours.

Guests were greeted by a 40-foot DNA helix sculpture in the three-story lobby as they entered Congdon Hall, which houses HPU’s Congdon School of Health Sciences and Fred Wilson school of Pharmacy.

The $120 million, 220,000-square-foot facility houses graduate programs for physical therapy, physician assistant studies and pharmacy. It features an anatomy lab that rivals the best in the country, a state-of-the-art Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab, Virtual Reality and Clinical Gait Analysis Lab, a surgical simulation lab, a labor and delivery simulation lab, a pharmacy skills lab, faculty research labs and many more impressive spaces.

Guests were invited to explore Congdon Hall’s many labs and simulation rooms.

Students and faculty provided demonstrations inside the virtual reality and clinical gait analysis lab. 

High Point resident Jane Riley-Wright attended the open house, where she heard presentations, admired the lobby and had her blood pressure and glucose checked by HPU pharmacy students.

“I just finished walking around the building and it is beautiful,” said Riley-Wright. “The students giving the free screenings were great, which I expected because of their work with the community. High Point University in general works a lot with the community, and I know that well because I work in the community on a regular basis. I see the students out volunteering, and there’s always an HPU presence at events. I love to make sure that everyone is aware of how much the university is giving back to the community. I contact the university for volunteers whenever I need them for nonprofit work in the community, and I know that the medical science students are going to be a resource that I rely on.”

“It’s really an honor to be able to show the community the tools that we have on the campus and how we’re really in the heart HPU’s transformation into a school with a focus on medical science,” said Dr. Ron Ragan, dean of HPU’s Fred Wilson School of Pharmacy. “It’s been a pleasure to share that with the community because they are such a huge part of what we do. We would not be able to enjoy the success that we enjoy without the support of the community.”  

Community members were invited to take part in self-guided tours of the $120 million, 220,000-square-foot facility.

Dr. Scott Hemby, professor and chair of basic pharmaceutical sciences, delivered a talk titled “The Opiate Crisis in America,” to community members inside Congdon Hall’s Callicutt Auditorium.