Class of 2017 Profile: Jenn Armstrong Begins Interior Design Career

Name: Jenn Armstrong

Hometown: Newark, Delaware

Major: Interior Design graduated with a major in Interior Design and a minor in Human Relations on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Armstrong joins Brennan’s Office Interiors as an interior designer. Her responsibilities include space planning, specifying furniture, evaluating bids and finding out what specifically a client needs to better their work environments. She often accompanies the sales team for client meetings and evaluates job sites with company project managers. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me with the self-awareness to understand how I can benefit a company. I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses, I am not afraid to ask questions, and I am able to articulate my opinions on matters with confidence. I was provided with opportunities that allowed me to be open-minded to multiple solutions, independent when problem-solving, and decisive when making choices.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “On our first day of studio freshman year I spoke with Mr. John Linn, professor of Interior Design, about what my goals were for the future. His response was to “stick with him” throughout my four years and I did just that. I was very fortunate to have him for 5 classes (including 4 studios) as well as my advisor the last three years. Mr. Linn constantly challenged me in every class, helped me learn to play to my strengths, and evolve my way of thinking in order to create the best solutions. He would also be very pleased to know that yes, I am still getting my work turned in ahead of schedule.” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being part of the HPU Music Department helped me develop my leadership skills farther than I thought I was capable of. I was able to watch our University Band double in size and help create the values they embody today. As a team we established a bond between each other that led to ownership, responsibility, and pride for our program that we love. I was depended on by my music professors despite the fact that I was a non-major. This experience continued to evolve my passion for leadership, teamwork, and the open slate. Being “thrown” into a situation is no longer a fear I have.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “It’s easy to lean on those that openly care about you, but also remember to lean on those who continue to challenge you. It’s possible that mentors see something in you that you didn’t see in yourself. Dig deep and find the right people who will help you get to where you want to be. And never stop looking for them.”