Class of 2017 Profile: Justin Lerner Begins Career as a Marketing Coordinator

Name: Justin Lerner

Hometown: Glastonbury, Connecticut 

Major: Lerner graduated with a major in Communication and a minor in Human Relations on May 6.

Post-graduation plans: Lerner joins INSP, a digital cable and satellite television channel that features family entertainment programming, as a distribution marketing coordinator. In his role, Lerner supports the distribution marketing team in managing the daily activities in education affiliates and consumers about the INSP brand, while ensuring that brand integrity is defined. Everyday tasks include collaborating with the creative team on all marketing materials needed, developing marketing campaigns that represent the interests of the distribution marketing and world wide distribution team, executing promotions through our affiliate website to build INSP recognition, and traveling around the country executing consumer events for INSP viewers. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gave me the opportunity to not only grow as a student and a professional, but this university allowed me to become the person I am today and it is so interesting to say that now that I have graduated. Looking back on who I was as a person coming into college and who I am now well I couldn’t be happier with the results. Being able to come to a school where I knew no one at all gave me a space to be challenged both inside and outside of the classroom. It is one thing to know what you are talking about in the classroom, but if you are not able to apply that to the real world outside of that setting then it is not going to provide you the opportunity to succeed. HPU gave me that opportunity through being able to get involved and clubs and organizations, providing resources to internship and work responsibilities, and becoming a leader in a community that will always be a home away from home for me. Being able to be given the tools to succeed after four years of hard work is how HPU helped me to get where I am today.” 

How you used Career & Professional Development: “The first time I used the Career & Professional Development Office services was my Sophomore year to have my resume looked over. Just being able to have another person, who has the skills when it comes to what should be included in a resume, look over a document that is so crucial to obtaining an internship or job gave me that boost of confidence. Who knew that two years later that I would be working in this office during my Senior year as a Peer Career Advisor helping students with their resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and any professional advice just like that one person who helped me with my resume. This eye-opening experience allowed me to develop my professional skills even more and to be able to help another student succeed in their professional career was a rewarding experience and feeling.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Hands down it is Melissa Lawson. I officially met her when I joined the Undergraduate Admissions team going into my Junior year as an University Ambassador and her positive and welcoming personality allowed me to feel comfortable in this new role. She inspires me each and every time I see her because she has this ability to make every prospective and current student that walks through the doors of Undergraduate Admissions feel special, welcomed, and that they have an opportunity like no other to come to HPU. That positive outlook on life and being able to motivate others around you every day inspires me to adopt this quality into my own life. She has allows been a go to person whenever I need advice or someone to talk to about the craziness that life has to offer. I owe a lot of my growth as a professional and as a student to this incredible woman and I can’t thank her enough for being such an important mentor to my success at HPU!” 

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Rushing and joining the co-ed community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. I have always had a passion for giving back to others and when I came to HPU I wanted to be a part of an organization where I could get involved with community service. My first semester my Freshman year I decided to go to an informational session on rushing this service fraternity and the rest is history. I found a place where I could be myself and those around me embraced who I was as a person and for my passion for service. These people who had a passion for leadership, friendship, and service not only became my brothers but they became my family that i could go to whenever I needed. I was able to take on a variety of leadership positions that I never knew I was capable of but having that support from your brothers that you can succeed in these roles meant the world to me. That support allowed me to even become President my last semester of college which I could not have been more grateful for this honor. When I look back now and think about my college career it is such a great feeling to say that Alpha Phi Omega impacted me the most and will always be a part of who I am.” 

Advice for underclassmen: “First, you have to understand that the meaning of success is different for everyone. To be successful after graduation you need to understand what your meaning of success is and how you want to achieve success. It can be difficult at times, especially your Senior year, to get caught up in what’s next. You have worked hard and grown these past four years and you are just trying to figure out the next step in your journey. However, it is alright to just take each day with stride and just embrace those moments that you will never get back. Don’t get to focused on oh I need a job or I need to know what is next after I graduate. Enjoy these moments with the people you have been with for four years of your life and know that it will all work out in the end. In order to be successful after graduation you need to realize what you want in this new journey and next step in life. This realization may not be right away so understand that everyone’s success after graduation is different and your journey might be completely different than the person you are sitting next to at your graduation.”