Internship Profile: Gianna McWilliams Interns for KUSA 9News

Name: Gianna McWilliams 

Hometown: Boulder, Colorado

Year: Class of 2018

Major: Business with a minor in Marketing 

Internship: McWilliams worked as a sales intern for KUSA 9NEWS. As the only intern for the station, McWilliams helped sell advertisements both online and on air, doing paperwork and shadowing account executives. During her internship, she worked on finding new leads for the stations live advertising show, Colorado and Company. She had a 100 percent success rate with the companies she contacted to be part of the show. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU taught me how to manage my time, how to handle myself in a professional environment, and how to ultimately be successful in an incredibly fast-paced and competitive industry. Between my amazing professors, my freshman success coach, and the Career and Internships Offices, I feel completely and totally comfortable and confident in my internship.”   

How you used Career & Professional Development: “Career and Professional Development not only helped me decide to add a Marketing minor my Junior year as a way to differentiate myself in the workforce, but they also spent countless hours reviewing my LinkedIn profile and my Resume until both were as good as they could possibly be.” 

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Nathanial Hedman. He was my English professor this past semester and he truly showed me what it means to be so incredibly passionate about your job that it almost becomes a hobby. Dr. Hedman pushed me to look at life in such a different way and to never forget to do what you love.” 

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future: “My internship has been absolutely incredible and so educational. I have been given opportunities to go out on sales calls with Account Executives, make cold calls to prospective clients, learn all of the behind-the-scenes of advertising, and even help out on live shows in the News studio. After this internship, I will definitely be pursuing Media Sales and advertising once i graduate. ”