Class of 2018 Outcomes: Carter Cummins Turns Internship into Career

Name: Carter Cummins

Hometown: Montreal, Canada

Major: Cummins will graduate with a B.A. in Political Science, with a minor in Business Administration, on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Cummins has accepted a position in the BRiTE Program at Corning, which specializes in materials science. The one-year program is open to recent graduates and aims to determine which area of the business sector best fits each candidate. After completing the program, candidates are placed in the area where they show the most aptitude. Cummins will be the first graduate from High Point to have this position.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me realize my own potential and what I am capable of doing. The network of support I received from faculty mentors, success coaches and more has fostered my independence while simultaneously providing assistance when I need it.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Being a tutor for HPU was extremely impactful for me because it provided me with the confidence I needed to share my own knowledge and help others succeed.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Don’t be afraid to explore job titles outside your degree. There are so many career options out there, so feel free to branch out and look at all your options. It is important to view each job opportunity individually and explore how it fits your needs and interests.”

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.