Class of 2018 Outcomes: Emily Judson Attends Graduate School in England

Apr 05th, 2018

Name: Emily Judson

Hometown: Annapolis, Maryland

Major: Judson will graduate with a B.A. in Studio Art, and a minor in Museum Studies, on May 5.

Post-graduation plans: Judson will attend the University of Leicester in England, where she will earn her Master of Art Museum and Gallery Studies.

How HPU helped you get there: “Without the Office of Fellowships and Awards and Dr. Malburn-Wade, I never would have found the program that I will be attending next year. She was integral in working with me on my application and encouraging me to try for something outside my comfort zone. My advisor and professors showed me how to find what I am truly passionate about and encouraged me to create goals I never would have imagined in high school. Overall, the holistic education that High Point University provides sets students, such as myself, up for success in their field by supporting them and providing students with experiential learning opportunities.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The most impactful mentor I have had in my time at High Point is my advisor, Professor Mark Brown, assistant professor of art. His Ceramics I class made me realize my passion for art and eventually led to me changing my major. In subsequent classes I had with Professor Brown, he challenged me to analyze art in new ways while introducing me to new artists and their styles. During our advising appointments, he went above and beyond to find classes that I would enjoy and challenged my existing ideas about art and design. I cannot express how much Professor Brown shaped my experiences at High Point.

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment I had at HPU is I when I met acclaimed graphic designer Art Chantry, who visited campus to mentor students in the School of Art and Design. He is known for his work on posters and album covers. I was one of many students who attended his lecture and workshop. This was an amazing experience for me because I was exposed to a new perspective on art and its creation as well; I also learned a new technique to make posters. This workshop left a huge impression on me and influenced how I create artwork.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The best advice I can give underclassmen as a graduating senior is to try everything. HPU is unique in the number of activities and experiences it provides to students. No other campus that I visited has a Campus Activities Team that is as dedicated to providing opportunities to students as HPU’s. Four years of college go by so fast, and you never want to look back and wish you had done something differently. From climbing the ropes course, taking a trip to view the solar eclipse in totality or going to cheer on the Carolina Panthers at an NFL game, take advantage of every single thing our campus provides because, often times, you won’t have the chance again.”

View More Graduate Profiles

It may be early in the semester, but Commencement will be here before we know it. Many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.