Class of 2018 Outcomes: Lauren Wright Secures a Teaching Position in Italy

Name: Lauren Wright

Hometown: Harrington Park, New Jersey

Major: Wright will graduate on May 5 with a B.S.B.A. in International Business with a Focus in Italian and a minor in economics.

Post-graduation plans: Wright will travel to Santeramo in Colle, Italy, where she will work as an English instructor at a private school teaching kids ages 5 -19 English. Wright will be the first person from North America that has taught at the school.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has provided me with multiple opportunities that have helped me achieve success. Many of my business professors have taught me life skills, like how to conduct myself with professionalism. This has made me much more comfortable with the job interviewing process, which has allowed me to tackle each new interview with confidence. Dr. Lillian Watson helped me hone my writing abilities and worked with me to craft my resume and cover letter. My Italian teachers also have helped me a great deal throughout my time here. Professoressa Laquale, instructor of French and Italian, helped me find and land the position at the Sunfield Institute. I am forever grateful for my HPU professors, who have prepared me for the next steps in my post-academic life.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Out of all the professors who have helped me, my most impactful mentor is Professoressa Moccia, instructor of Italian and German. She always challenged me to progress my Italian and helped me better understand the language. Every class I took with her was challenging and exciting. Through one-on-one sessions, I was able to improve my skills in writing and speaking in Italian by reading short stories and discussing themes represented in the stories. She even created an Italian track for international business so that I could continue studying the language. Without her, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “There are many instances where I learned and grew in and outside the classroom, whether it be making new friends in the most unexpected places, or overcoming a challenge in a course outside my major. My experiences at HPU as a whole had a major impact on my life. I have matured since coming to HPU, and I don’t regret a moment of my time here.”

Advice for underclassmen: “The best advice I can give is to work hard. You shouldn’t only work hard to understand the subjects you are taking, but work hard to create and maintain relationships with your professors and peers. The connections you make here will last you a lifetime and have the potential to impact your future in an unexpected way. I never imagined I would be working in Italy as a teacher, and if it weren’t for my professors, I may never have learned of the opportunity. Lastly, keep your mind open to new possibilities. Don’t be afraid to take a job outside your comfort zone.”

Commencement will be here before we know it, and many High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. View more extraordinary seniors from the Class of 2018 here.