Class of 2018 Profile: Cori Jarotski Teaches and Pursues Master’s of Education

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Cori Jarotski

Hometown: Riverdale, New Jersey

Major: Jarotski graduated with a B.A. in Mathematics and completed courses in Education to become eligible for her North Carolina Teaching License.

Post-graduation plans: Jarotski will pursue her master’s degree in education at High Point University. Jarotski will also work at Walter Hines Page High School in Greensboro as a high school math teacher starting in the fall.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University gave me the opportunity to learn and grow as a student and leader. My professors throughout my four years and now fifth year care about their students in their class starting the first day. Professors at HPU want students to learn as much as possible from them during our time here. These professors were my biggest support system and helped prepare me to eventually teach mathematics the best way I can. During my senior year, I learned a lot from Career and Professional Development. Since I started student teaching at a high school in the local High Point area, I have learned how to become an educator from the professors in the Stout School of Education, and their mentorship made it a smooth transition. Growing as a professional is important when searching for a job, and the experiential learning opportunities at HPU provided me with plenty of opportunities to do so. I was able to meet principals and other educators from surrounding schools in High Point and Greensboro through my professors. The connections I made were incredible.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. Piechnik in the Mathematics department. I had her for Calculus 1 on my first day of classes as a freshman at HPU, and ever since then she has had the biggest impact on my experience. I worked with Dr. Piechnik as her student instructor through Academic Services for the next three years, and she instantly supported me through having conversations after class in her office, giving me advice on what to expect when becoming an educator. There is truly no one like Dr. Piechnik and I am so lucky to have her as a mentor but also a friend.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impact moment at HPU was when I became president of the Gamma Eta Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority during my junior year. Through Greek Life, I met so many amazing students who pushed me to be a better person each day. The support I received from my chapter throughout the year and onward was selfless and something I will never forget. This experience made me realize that I want to be a leader in a school someday, hopefully as an assistant principal or principal. It is moments like these that help you figure out what you want your future to be, and this was my moment.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Connections, connections, connections! HPU provides so many opportunities to connect with resources outside the university in order to help you find a career in your field of study. Never hold back because taking risks will help you succeed and push you in the direction of fulfilling your dreams. Attending HPU is a step in the right direction to achieve your dreams after college!”