Class of 2018 Outcomes: Olivia Cremen Utilizes Marketing Major as Project Manager

Class of 2018 Outcomes: Olivia Cremen

With another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2018:

Name: Olivia Cremen

Hometown: Vero Beach, Florida

Major: Marketing with a minor in photography 

Post-graduation plans: As executive suite project manager at KELLY & Associates Insurance Group in Sparks, Maryland, Cremen works directly for the CEO and the executive team. She assists with a variety of different projects; some for KELLY itself and others for the multiple associates partnered with the insurance group. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me understand that even if you go into school with a specific idea of what you want to do post-graduation, it is in your best interest to keep an open mind. Josh Groban’s commencement speech resonated with me because I identified with his commentary about choosing the correct path, as I did in my time at HPU.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I had three teachers at HPU who helped me shape myself and my future. The first was my advisor, Randy Moser. He’s helped me in more ways than one. Mainly, Professor Moser encouraged me to grow my confidence with public speaking. He made classes fun and enjoyable, and I use what he taught me regularly in my new career. My second mentor was Benita VanWinkle. I always had a passion for photography, and Professor VanWinkle made that passion even stronger. My class trip with her to Paris helped me to improve my photography skills. My last, but not least, mentor was Janis Dougherty. I had Professor Dougherty as a faulty leader in my Maymester, “Documenting Paris”, along with Professor VanWinkle. I learned so much from her, and because of her, I discovered that it was okay to stray from the concrete idea I had for a career. I found new passions through all of their teachings.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was joining the Equestrian Team. The team helped me grow not only as an athlete, but as a person. Through the team I gained lasting friendships with girls who will always have my back. During my time competing, I became one of the team’s main photographers and the social media chairman. It was because of that experience that I was chosen for my position at KELLY.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get yourself out there, and utilize LinkedIn to allow your profile to be seen by recruiters. Go through Indeed, LinkedIn and a variety of other sites to search for jobs. Find the director of HR at the companies that intrigue you, and be proactive. Get your resumes and cover letters edited by other professionals, like the Career and Professional Development Office at HPU, and start circulating them. I know from my connections in the industry that companies love to see “go-getters.” Don’t let yourself be discouraged if the job search is going slower than you want or think it should be. As cliché as it sounds, everything happens for a reason.”