HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 4, 2018 – Hundreds of High Point University alumni are expected to return to campus Oct. 5-7 for Homecoming Weekend 2018. Among the festivities, HPU will present awards to 13 outstanding alumni. These recognitions will take place during an Alumni Awards Ceremony and Reception from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Oct. 5 in the Callicutt Auditorium in Congdon Hall.
Homecoming Weekend is one of several events held throughout the year that attract visitors and result in a major economic boost for the city of High Point. The High Point Convention and Visitors Bureau estimates the economic impact of this year’s event will be more than a quarter of a million dollars.
“HPU eagerly anticipates the arrival of our alumni for this weekend’s festivities. We’re so excited to welcome them back home,” says Hayley Harris, director of alumni engagement and graduate of the Class of 2014. “It’s so special for generations of High Point Panthers to return with their families and friends to relive fond memories and special moments. This includes traditions on campus as well as favorite restaurants, shops and places to explore throughout the city.”
The annual Alumni Awards Ceremony and Reception is one of the highlights of the weekend. Hosted by the Alumni Association, the banquet will honor 13 HPU alumni who have made outstanding accomplishments and demonstrated a commitment to their communities and the university.
The banquet will honor the following individuals:
- Don Caine, Class of 1965 – Lifetime Achievement Award – Don founded Camco Manufacturing in 1966 with one employee and one product. Don and his wife, Teresa, live in Greensboro, North Carolina, and are generous supporters of HPU students and the new Donald R. and Teresa B. Caine Conservatory.
- Mark Webb, Class of 1983 – Alumnus of the Year – CEO, President of Interstate Foam and Supply, Inc. in Conover, North Carolina, Mark and his wife, Jerri generously donated gifts in honor of their family to support the Webb Conference Center and Webb School of Engineering. Their son, Connor, is a current HPU student.
- Jerry Murdock, Class of 1962 – Alumni Service Award – CEO of IPS Packaging in Greenville, South Carolina, Jerry is receiving this award for his continued involvement in various service initiatives that support HPU and his local community. Jerry and his wife, Joan, are generous supporters of HPU students.
Ten distinguished alumni who have graduated within the past 10 years will also be honored with HPU’s Ten Under Ten Young Alumni Award. They are as follows:
- Mikhaela Ackerman, Class of 2013 – Financial Crimes Consultant at Wells Fargo in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- John Brown, Class of 2016 – Professional basketball player at Acea Virtus Roma European Basketball Team in Italy.
- Matthew Burns, Class of 2015 – Corporate Transactional Attorney at Kirkland & Ellis in Chicago, Illinois.
- Ariel St. Clair, Class of 2014 – Program Officer at Internews Network in Washington, D.C.
- Austin Dillon, Class of 2018 – Daytona 500 winner, Professional Stock Car Racing Driver at Richard Childress Racing in Welcome, North Carolina.
- James Jadotte, Class of 2014 – Outreach Analyst at Facebook in San Francisco, California.
- Mary Beth Long, Class of 2010 – Occupational Therapist in Denver, Colorado.
- John Marsicano, Class of 2015 – Public Relations Manager at Magnolia in Waco, Texas.
- Stephanie Schwartz, Class of 2014 – Marketing Program Manager at Office Depot in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Tyler Yusko, Class of 2013 – Engineering Leadership Recruiter at Google in New York City.
For a full schedule and more details, HPU alumni may visit www.highpoint.edu/homecoming.