Internship Profile: Matt DeRienzo Learns from Volvo

Matt

Name: Matt DeRienzo

Hometown: Southbury, Connecticut

Year: Class of 2020

Major: Finance with a minor in economics

Internship: As a purchasing intern at Volvo Trucks, DeRienzo will work for the can interior team in the purchasing department that handles the care of seats, steering wheels, headliners and trims. His position is to assist team members with various tasks and contact suppliers to negotiate prices for different parts.

How HPU helped you get there: “I think HPU has helped me by giving me a greater sense of belief in myself. When I first came to college, I did not have a lot of confidence, but since freshman year, I have grown into myself and never back down from a challenge. I think a lot of this is due to how my professors have pushed me in class. I also started using the Office of Career and Professional Development during my freshman year to build a resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile. Since then, I have consistently gone back in to gain advice on my future aspirations.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I started working with April Cosner the second semester of my freshman year and have not stopped meeting with her since. We would meet once every two weeks to work on my resume or LinkedIn, and she helped me greatly with applying to my first internship at the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in Greensboro.  April’s position changed at the beginning of this school year, but I still regularly speak with her about school and future career aspirations.  I see April as someone I can talk about anything with and I credit a lot of my college success to her.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I have enjoyed my internship experience thus far, as I feel the work I am doing every day in a professional environment is building me to become a more successful person in the future.”