Community Partners Host Free Medicine Giveaway

HIGH POINT, N.C., April 4, 2019 – NC MedAssist, High Point University’s Fred Wilson School of Pharmacy, the city of High Point, United Way of Greater High Point and High Point Seventh-Day Adventist Church all came together today to provide the community with free over-the-counter medicine and health screenings. The event was held in the High Point University Community Center.

Amy Wangerin, a second-year HPU pharmacy student, gave Ethel Askew, a city of High Point resident, a free health screening at the event. She appreciated the friendly and professional guidance provided by the students.

“For these students to have a heart for people and the wellness of people, that touches me deep,” said Askew. “My mother died of diabetes, so to see them be so vigilant about the heartfelt emotions from people just does it for me.”

Yeng Xiong, a second-year HPU pharmacy student, has worked the event in the past and enjoys interacting with community members every time.

“This is an amazing opportunity because we’re helping the community,” said Xiong. “It’s great to engage with people and my fellow colleagues to give medications to people who might not be able to afford it.”

Samuel Berry lives in the city of High Point, and he took advantage of the free event to pick up medications for his mother.

“I couldn’t have picked out the medications without the students,” said Berry. “It was fast, convenient and everyone was nice.”

“I really enjoy giving people the medications that they might not be able to afford or have easy access to them,” said Raven Almazan, a second-year HPU pharmacy student. “I like how HPU focuses on helping others. We do this for a reason and with purpose.”

HPU has been a part of the free event since 2016 to help make it a success.

“The pharmacy students come here with a lot of knowledge and experience, which helps the event move smoothly,” said Kinzie Luce, NC MedAssist’s volunteer manager. “They love interacting with the participants and provide a great service with the knowledge that they have.”