Class of 2019 Outcomes: Kayla Haigh Verifies a Career with Vanguard

With commencement just around the corner, recent High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2019:

Name: Kayla Haigh

Hometown: Rochester, New Hampshire 

Major: Finance with a minor in economics

Post-graduation plans: Haigh will be working as a flagship client service specialist at Vanguard in Charlotte, North Carolina. As a client service specialist, she will be assisting investors with account set-ups, trade executions, and investment guidance to help them meet their financial goals.

How HPU helped you get there: “The students that surround me every day always amaze me, and push me to become a better student and employee. I have a naturally competitive nature, so seeing students land amazing internships and job opportunities pushed me to step out of my comfort zone and apply for the things I never thought I would get and do things I never thought I could accomplish. Throughout my four years at High Point University, I have worked very closely with the Office of Career and Professional Development to perfect my resume, cover letter and to prepare for interviews. I remember going into their office first semester of sophomore year worried about finding an internship. They calmed me down, assured me that I was taking the right steps, and helped me land multiple different internships throughout the following years.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU would be Dr. Peter Summers. I took an econometrics class with him, which was the most difficult class I took during my time at HPU. I was intimidated by the work and had a hard time understanding the course concepts. We met frequently and he helped to push me and grow my knowledge. Eventually, I got an awesome grade because he helped me accomplish something I didn’t know I was capable of!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU is the moment I found my home away from home in Kappa Delta. Being part of Greek Life significantly changed my college experience by allowing me to have a group of friends that I can always count on and look up to.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Push yourself out of your comfort zone. Apply for that dream internship or leadership position that you don’t think you can do. What’s the worst that can happen? This is the only way you can grow and develop yourself. You might surprise yourself with the things you can accomplish when you stop limiting your abilities.”