HPU Recognizes Math Professor with Slane Distinguished Teaching-Service Award

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 20, 2019 – Dr. Adam Graham-Squire, associate professor of mathematics, received the Meredith Clark Slane Distinguished Teaching-Service Award during High Point University’s 2019 Commencement ceremony.

Dr. Adam Graham-Squire, associate professor of mathematics, is the recipient of the 2019 Meredith Clark Slane Distinguished Teaching-Service Award.

The award is named for Meredith Clark Slane, a friend to the university, and has been given annually since 1973 to recognize excellence in teaching.

Graham-Squire has taught students across all levels of the mathematics curriculum. His courses are “outside the box,” and he is not afraid to try new teaching methods. Students have said they are more prepared for the real world than the average college graduate because of the problem-solving techniques and critical thinking skills he helps them develop.

“Dr. Adam Graham-Squire is one of our best faculty members,” says HPU Provost Dr. Dennis Carroll, who presented the award. “He understands that teaching is an art that requires constant reflection on how students understand, process and engage with the material being presented.”

Graham-Squire has mentored five students through undergraduate research projects covering a wide variety of topics, including voting theory and linear algebra. He has also shown leadership through updating the department’s placement system for students enrolling in math courses at the university and by serving as a liaison to the Teacher Education Council in the Stout School of Education.

Graham-Squire came to HPU in 2011. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Whitman College and master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

“I am very flattered to be receiving such a prestigious award and am grateful to all of my colleagues who have supported me in my work,” says Graham-Squire. “I am especially thankful to my students, who have put forth so much effort to engage with my lessons. Without their encouragement and feedback, I would not be where I am now.”