Internship Profile: Ally Patterson Practices News Presentation

Name: Ally Patterson

Hometown: Fort Mill, South Carolina

Major: Broadcast journalism with a minor in media production and entrepreneurship

Internship: Patterson is spending the summer as a newsroom intern at WBTV in Charlotte, North Carolina. She is shadowing and assisting in multiple roles. From reporters and anchors to producers and videographers, Patterson has been exposed to all sides of the industry. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The classes I have taken at HPU have been fundamental in preparing me and giving me the confidence to perform the tasks I’ve been assigned throughout my internship. Without the guidance of my professors and peers, I wouldn’t have experienced this internship and all that it offers. The Office of Career and Professional Development was very helpful in the process of getting academic credit for my internship and assisting in my communication between the school and the company.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Joe Michaels, HPU’s Broadcaster in Residence, has provided knowledge and wisdom from his experience as the former director for the TODAY Show throughout all the classes he has taught me and deepened my passion for broadcast journalism.

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship has allowed me to dive into the world of news and get a feel for the fast-paced work environment. Aside from shadowing, I have been afforded hands-on experience with writing, shooting and editing material that requires fast turnover. I was even lucky enough to have my work aired live on TV with accreditation, something that many people this early in their college careers can’t say. This experience has given me clarity on what roles I could one day take on in my career.”