Internship Profile: Amirah Darnaby Builds Business Knowledge with Booz Allen Hamilton Consulting

Name: Amirah Darnaby

Hometown: Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Major: Human relations with minors in sociology and French

Internship: Darnaby spent the summer as a business development intern for Booz Allen Hamilton Consulting Firm. In her role, she performed research tasks, including data collection, manipulation and presentation, literature search and interviewing. She provided research assistance to support client contracts with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Headquarters in Washington D.C. and supported initiatives that promote business development.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU’s inspiring environment impacts me personally and professionally. My professors create an engaging classroom environment where I can collaborate with my peers and share different perspectives. My assignments consist of real-life examples that reinforce classroom concepts. This internship opportunity, to use the knowledge that I’ve gained in the classroom in my internship, has been amazing. Preparing PowerPoint presentations, brainstorming innovative ideas and utilizing my communication skills, for example. Through HPU’s supportive culture, I received the guidance that I needed through the resources of the Office of Career and Professional Development, which helped me declare my major. The peer career advisors helped me leverage my unique skills and experience on my resume. I sought assistance in tailoring my resume to fit the internship opportunities that I was pursuing. I used my master resume in several internship applications and landed the business development intern position at Booz Allen Hamilton, as a result.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Emily Estrada, sociology professor, impacted my decision to pursue my sociology and anthropology minor, as well as my involvement in establishing a new club for students interested in sociology and anthropology. During presidential scholars weekend, I had the honor of attending a sociology and anthropology department meeting where Dr. Estrada shared her inspiring story with me. Her passionate qualities have empowered me to get involved in several change initiatives to make an impact on HPU’s campus.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has allowed me to hone my leadership, communication and critical thinking skills. I networked and gained knowledge about consulting to understand which areas most interest me. Not only was I able to work for a top consulting firm, but I was also exposed to the client relationship with NASA. I was given the opportunity to lead an employee engagement initiative for the Booz Allen Hamilton employees on client site at NASA. Within my responsibilities, I lead team meetings, created various deliverables and drafted a 90-day strategic plan for fostering employee engagement at the firm. This internship has prepared me for the future by allowing me to strengthen my interpersonal and technical skills, while also broadening my network for future opportunities.”