Internship Profile: Jacob Lancaster Pursues an Interest in Ministry

Name: Jacob Lancaster

Hometown: Albemarle, North Carolina

Major: Religion with a minor in philosophy

Internship: Lancaster spent the summer with Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church as the pastoral intern. He worked with the pastoral staff and took part in leading worship, teaching, providing pastoral care and participating in various events in the life of the church. This internship is an opportunity for him to learn under a mentor and grow in the pastoral ministry. Lancaster learned about ministry in a larger church, practiced and cultivated skills for ministry.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU, particularly the Office of Chapel and Religious Life and the Religion and Philosophy department, have supported me as I have learned and grown throughout my college career. I’ve had wonderful mentors who teach me and help me to grow into my calling of vocational ministry in the United Methodist Church. I used I have used the Office of Career and Professional Development a few times, mostly to learn how to put together resumes and cover letters.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU has been Dr. Chris Franks. I have taken several courses and done independent study work with Dr. Franks, and he is very dedicated to my growth. I have also valued working with him in the pre-ministry program. Most of all, I appreciate the ways in which he has supported me as I have journeyed through college, in classes, in wrestling with questions of academic studies of religion and faith, and in my calling into pastoral ministry.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “I have had a diverse range of experiences in my internship. I have preached, prayed and participated in other ways to leading worship. I have also visited with people who have been in the hospital or homebound, and spent time on a mission trip or other service opportunities. There are many other ways I am contributing to church programs and ministries. I am learning a lot about what it means to serve God in a pastoral role and I am grateful for my mentor, Rev. Dr. Jeff Patterson, and his commitment toward my growth.”