Internship Profile: Nia Rainer Serves as Champion for the Chamber of Commerce

Name: Nia Rainer

Hometown: Queens, New York

Major: International business with a minor in Spanish

Internship: Rainer worked for the Greenwich Village Chelsea Chamber of Commerce as the membership coordinator intern. In this role, she was responsible for recruiting members for the chamber and retaining the existing members. Rainer kept members engaged in the chamber by communicating the benefits of their membership, providing great customer service, building relationships and keeping track of members and prospects through reporting.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has prepared me for adversity, helped me to become coachable and connected me with others. As an employee for the Office of Student Life, I’ve learned how to work with different people and how to be more adaptable. As a member of the Professional Selling Club, I get to practice my elevator pitching and receive constructive criticism that helps me for future networking events and interviews. As a student who completed Dr. Nido Qubein’s Seminar on Life Skills, I learned that connecting with others can open so many doors for now and in the future. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development when I was applying for internships. I regularly went into the office to get resumé help, and it was great to know that they wanted to see me succeed in my professional endeavors. My advisor, Dr. Doug Hall, has been a mentor motivating me even though I didn’t think it was possible to land an internship as a freshman.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Larry Quinn has been an amazing mentor for me because he really wants me to succeed. He encourages me to compete in the Professional Selling Club Elevator Pitch Competition even though I was apprehensive. Now, going into my sophomore year, I know that my age or class year should not determine my success, but rather my hard work and effort that I put into something I am passionate about.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “We work with businesses within New York City to provide innovative and effective programs and services to support businesses throughout Greenwich Village, East Village, Union Square, Flatiron, Chelsea, NoHo and SoHo. We do this through advocacy, education, networking and promotion of our businesses. My role has been a great learning experience that I will value forever.”