HPU Art Students Accepted to Exhibit at Regional Juried Art Competition

High Point University studio art majors Helen Barnett, Rebecca Slife and Jessica LeVasseur (pieces pictured left to right) were recently accepted to exhibit at the third annual Bellwethers juried exhibition of collegiate student art. 

Rebecca Slife exhibited her piece, Papaw.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 11, 2019 – High Point University studio art majors Rebecca Slife, Helen Barnett and Jessica LeVasseur were recently accepted to exhibit at the third annual Bellwethers juried exhibition of collegiate student art. The exhibition, juried by Lexi Millikan, the executive director of the Yeiser Art Center in Paducah, Kentucky, opened on Oct. 28 at the University of Tennessee at Martin and runs through Nov. 27. 

Slife entered her piece, Papaw, which was created with colored pencil and watercolor. 

“My grandpa helped me draw my first portrait eight years ago and, since then, I’ve always enjoyed drawing people,” says Slife. “However, since attending High Point University, I’ve been able to develop and fine-tune my artistic abilities through the art classes offered. The painting course has given me a better understanding of drawing proportions and how colors play together, which ultimately played a critical role in creating Papaw.”

Helen Barnett, a studio art major, entered her watercolor painting, Inspired by Siena.

Barnett exhibited a watercolor painting titled, Inspired by Siena. “The image is the view from my window when I was in Italy for the summer with the art department for the Grand Tour of Italy,” says Barnett.

“Siena is known for the unique hue of burnt sienna, which derives from the color of the soil in Tuscany. I included those hues into the composition.” 

Jessica LeVasseur, a studio art major, submitted a bowl she created in ceramics class.

LeVasseur submitted a bowl she created in ceramics class.

“I almost threw this bowl into the slop bucket because it was chipped on the edge,” said LeVasseur. “Professor Brown helped me see some new possibilities in my work, and, in the end, helped me turn a mistake into a working aspect of the piece as a whole.”

Scott Raynor, chair of the Art and Graphic Design Department, has taught Slife, Barnett and LeVasseur.

“I am so proud of these students for getting accepted into this juried show,” says Raynor. “This honor reflects their hard work and dedication to their art.”

The Bellwethers 2019 exhibition is open to all undergraduate art students enrolled in a visual arts program at a two or four-year institution in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.