Class of 2020 Outcomes: Meagan Pusser Pursues Her Passion for Writing

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Meagan Pusser

Hometown: Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Major: English writing an English literature

Post-graduation plans: Pusser will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) to pursue her Master of Fine Arts in writing (concentration in fiction) program. 

How HPU helped you get there: “The English Department at HPU has always gone above and beyond to provide feedback and encouragement on my assignments. I feel that the faculty in this department has played a huge role in my academic success and in feeding my drive to pursue higher education in a field that I have always been passionate about. Furthermore, the caring individuals in the English department have shown me ways that I can marry my passion for writing with my passion for helping others to find a satisfying career path for myself. I had several appointments with my advisor, Kellie McLeod in the Office of Career and Professional Development, and I feel that she also had a hand in my success. Kellie is such a sweet and encouraging woman, and she helped me find internships and programs that boosted my graduate applications. I am confident that these experiences gave me a leg up on other applicants and helped me earn funding from SCAD.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have had many impactful mentors at HPU, most of them in the English Department, including Dana Yates. They are all very helpful and caring; it’s too hard to pick just one.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moments at HPU have been all of my writing workshops, whether those have been with my classmates inside and outside of the classroom or meeting with a professor to talk about research. I have also enjoyed traveling as a result of those research papers.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Start exploring your interests as soon as you can and don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. Sign up for clubs, ask about internships, talk to new people. You never know what you may like and who you may meet. More than anything, you never know what opportunities will come your way if you just put yourself out there.”