Class of 2020 Profile: Morgan Canner Commits to Clinical Counseling

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Morgan Canner

Hometown: Fairfield, Connecticut 

Major: Psychology with minors in criminal justice and special education

Post-graduation plans: Canner will be attending George Washington University in Washington, D.C. to pursue a Master’s of Clinical Mental Health Counseling. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I could not have asked for a better support system than that of the Department of Psychology at HPU. Every professor helped me realize my love of psychology and my desire to become a mental health professional. My professors, like Dr. Danzis, were willing to write me recommendation letters that helped me get to where I am now. In addition to graduate school, I have also accepted a full-time job as a counselor in an intensive outpatient program for eating disorders. The skills I learned from the psychology department gave me the resources and experience to get a job in my field while I pursue my master’s degree. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development to guide me when I was picking my major after being undecided during my freshman year. Their guidance helped reassure me that psychology was the best route for me.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have to give heaps of credit to Dr. Lootens, my amazing advisor, for guiding me and helping every step of the way in my applications to graduate school. He even took my phone call when I was freaking out about which school to pick after getting multiple acceptances, I already miss chatting during our meetings. His abnormal psychology and counseling classes helped shape my career, and I am extremely grateful.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “A culmination of moments shaped my time at HPU, and I was really shaped by the people around me. My friends were my rock and support system throughout my journey at High Point University. I definitely have made lifelong friends that I continue to remain close to even if I haven’t seen them in a bit and I can’t wait to see what else life has in store for us!”

Advice for underclassmen: “It can be stressful and frustrating when you are trying to figure out life after college. Whether it is graduate school, a career, or anything else that you want to pursue, the best advice I can offer is to be persistent and don’t give up. There will be jobs that might not get back to you and there will probably be a few rejections, but things will happen the right way at the right time. Just stay positive and be yourself and the right thing for you will come along, even if it isn’t exactly what you expected.”