Class of 2020 outcomes: Marisa Wise Assists Teachers at Mary Scroggs Elementary School

With another successful Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates are commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Marisa Wise

Hometown: Durham, North Carolina

Major: Criminal justice and psychology

Post-graduation plans: Wise joins Mary Scroggs Elementary School as a teacher’s assistant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. She will be supporting the lead teacher as well as assisting kids with homework, class assignments, or any other questions or concerns that they have about school.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has given me the opportunity to advocate for myself and become a more confident person these past four years. I learned that asking for help is okay, and my professors were always available when I needed them. I talked with them about my future and my goals. Emily Long, my career advisor, has been the best person to work with through the Office of Career and Professional Development. She has given me tips on how to improve my resume and LinkedIn profile. She was always available to meet with me and would answer any questions that I had whether it was about an upcoming interview or using specific keywords when job searching. Emily has done so much for me and I can’t thank her enough! I’ve learned so much from being at HPU, and I can’t wait to come back to visit this amazing school again! ”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Lootens. He was the main reason I added psychology as a second major. I loved being in every class that he taught, and he always made learning the material fun. He was someone who helped me with my semester schedules and would make sure that I was on track for graduation. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t wish I had another class with Dr. Lootens.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU was when all students had to transition to online classes due to the coronavirus. It made me realize how much I enjoyed being at HPU and how I would miss it. I missed being able to eat lunch with friends, going see a movie at the cinema, and experiencing greek life events. I was so excited to graduate with my classmates, and even though we couldn’t be together for a final ceremony, I have made friends that I will know for a lifetime!”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice to underclassmen would be to reach out to the Office of Career and Professional Development as early as you can. I thought I could handle doing everything on my own, but I learned that they are experts and can make things better for you. They provide you with great tips for resumes and can help when it comes to job searching. Also, your professors can be a great resource when it comes to finding a job or internship that you’re interested in. At the end of the day, it comes down to networking and finding those connections that can help you become successful!”