HPU and St. Stephen AME Zion Church received a $20,000 grant to support these workshops.
HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 30, 2020 – Drs. Erin Trauth, assistant professor of English, Cara Kozma, associate professor of English, and students at High Point University will host free professional writing workshops for women in the High Point community beginning Oct. 15. Registration is required by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 336-883-0414. Every class will be held at St. Stephen AME Zion Church at 1012 Leonard Avenue, High Point.
HPU and St. Stephen AME Zion Church received a $20,000 Women in Motion grant to host the workshop series and create a resource room at the church where community members will be able to access technology to aid in job searches. The workshops will help women in the community grow professionally by helping with resume and cover letter writing, applying for jobs, interviewing and other areas, including a free optional session on managing personal finances by a Blakely Financial representative.
“At High Point University, it’s often said that we are High Point’s university,” says Trauth. “We are thrilled to utilize the skills and expertise of HPU professors and professional writing students combined with the generous financial support we have been granted from Women in Motion. Using these combined resources, we hope to further connect our HPU community with the greater High Point community and positively impact the professional lives of many High Point women.”
Masks will be required and provided if registrants do not have one. Free childcare for children ages five and above by background-checked caretakers will be available during all sessions if needed. Masks are also required for all attending children. A light meal will be provided at all workshops for registrants and children present.
- Oct. 15 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Communicating Your Skills: Cover Letters 101
- Oct. 22 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Telling Your Professional Story: Resumes 101
- Oct. 29 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Communicating Your Skills: LinkedIn 101
- Nov. 4 from 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Applying for Jobs Online 101
- Nov. 5 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Interviewing and Negotiation Skills 101
- Nov. 11 from 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Applying for Jobs Online 101
- Nov. 12 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Feedback on Your Job Materials & Optional Managing Personal Finances 101