Class of 2021 Outcomes: Christopher Joyce Heads to a Career in Human Resources

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Christopher Joyce

Hometown: Bethel, Connecticut

Major: Business administration

Post-graduation plans: Joyce will be joining Fidelity Investments as a human resources associate in Durham, North Carolina. He will rotate through four different six-month assignments within the Human Resources Department in talent acquisition, compensation, HR business partner support, associate experience, and others. Joyce will have the opportunity to work with a support network that includes managers, mentors, executive sponsors, and fellow colleagues on various rotational assignments, supplemental training, project-based work, and structured hands-on learning.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has given me opportunities to network and receive hands-on experience I’ll need in the future. The professional background my professors brought to the table allowed them to teach scenarios in class that we might face in our own professional journeys. I connected with them on a personal level, and they would often discuss their careers prior to teaching at HPU. That allowed me to gain invaluable knowledge on business functions and opportunities available post-graduation. The emphasis and resources allotted to career exploration are tremendous. If I wanted to speak with someone or learn something new there was always an option available for me. I became ‘best friends’ with most, if not all, of the Office of Career and Professional Development staff my freshman and sophomore year. I was in their office every other week with a question or requesting assistance. I had my resume updated and adjusted over a dozen times, and they pushed me to network as much as I could. I came into HPU unsure of what I wanted to do when I graduated, and the Office of Career and Professional Development helped me make a plan and gather the resources needed to achieve my goals.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor here at HPU has been Whitney Neal, the director of human resources who oversaw the student employment program. She was one of my first connections in the world of human resources and has given me a tremendous opportunity to work in the Office of Human Resources at High Point University. From the first day I met her, she has given me insight into different HR areas and pushes me to think outside the box. I have followed her from the Student Employment Office over to the Office of Human Resources and each step of the way she believed in me and trusted me. Thanks to her, I gained amazing exposure and experience which helped me tremendously in job interviews. I owe much of my success to her and consider her an invaluable resource to High Point University.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was attending a Human Resource Panel hosted by the Office of Career and Professional Development. I was able to network with the panel members and learn more about the HR business function. This event was an essential building block for my professional career and actually led to a job-shadow with one of the panel members. This series of events, made possible by HPU, helped solidify my interest in the HR field and is part of the reason I am where I am today.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Networking is key! High Point University has a lot of unique resources, some you may not be aware of. Take advantage of the Office of Career and Professional Development as early as you can. Everyone makes their own success, but your chances of being successful are significantly increased by utilizing the staff and resources available not only there but across the university as a whole. If you’re curious about something, contact a professor of staff member. If they don’t have the answer, chances are they know someone who does!”