Class of 2021 Outcomes: Matt Waibel Makes it to Medical School

Apr 23rd, 2021

1581792047564
Matt Waibel
Granite Falls, North Carolina
Biochemistry

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Matt Waibel

Hometown: Granite Falls, North Carolina

Major: Biochemistry on a pre-med track

Post-graduation plans: Waibel will be attending Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine to pursue a Master of Medical Science, and eventually a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU had a wealth of amazing resources to excel, but the incredible professors were actually what propelled me. They were the keystone to my personal and professional development. I established three separate internships shadowing doctors of osteopathic medicine of different sub-specialties: internal medicine, plastic surgery and family medicine. Additionally, I went on a medical mission trip to provide free healthcare to underserved communities of Costa Rica.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Angela Broadnax was my most impactful advisor at HPU. She fought tooth-and-nail to make sure I would graduate on time, but most importantly, she has always been a huge supporter. She’s incredibly receptive and understanding – both were qualities that made a huge impact on me and my aspirations.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when Dr. Aaron Titus told me he wished his new students were more like me. I had struggled in the first class I had with him. Since I had two consecutive semesters with him, I made certain to dig deep and find a sense of grit. After refining how I studied, being much more active in class and chasing Dr. Titus down outside of class, I had finally found what it took to make an excellent grade. After I had him as a professor, my work ethic and discipline were gratified when he told me he wished his new students were more like me, in terms of my effort and attitude towards the class. This was pivotal for reinforcing a lot of new studying habits that carried me throughout the rest of my time at HPU and on to grad school.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Establish a great relationship with professors in your major’s department. You won’t want to let them down and they won’t want anything but the best for you.”