Class of 2021 Outcomes: Cayla Gauthier Joins the YWCA

With another Commencement quickly approaching, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Cayla Gauthier

Hometown: Woodbridge, New Jersey

Major: Nonprofit leadership and management with a minor in event management

Post-graduation plans: Gauthier has joined the YWCA in Greensboro as an executive coordinator to assist the CEO with daily administrative tasks. She is responsible for keeping the organization running in compliance with our local and state funding contracts. She submits for reimbursements and assist in writing applications for new grants..

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University provided me an education that put me ahead of most of my coworkers despite this being my first job. The experience I gained in the classroom and in professional settings prepared me to confidently perform in my role. It’s exciting to apply knowledge I gained in the classroom to real situations. I was lucky to have a major that required internship hours. The hands-on learning I did was just as important as what I learned inside of a classroom. Having to make phone calls, conduct interviews, and intern with professionals in careers I was interested in took me out of my comfort zone but greatly improved my communication skills while making it seem less intimidating.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Pamela Palmer was an incredible mentor, but I didn’t know it until I began working with her at my current job! It’s an amazing experience to perform a job working with the person who taught you everything you know. While at HPU, she held me at high expectations that I didn’t even have for myself and helped me to uncover what I was capable of achieving. She was always available to answer questions but pushed me to figure things out on my own and made me feel like any goal I had was obtainable.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “During my freshman year, I took a class on philanthropy and we learned about Paul Newman. I was fascinated by his Serious Fun Network camps for kids with special needs and decided I’d love to be involved with that population in a recreational setting. Three years later, I was a second-semester senior starting my dream internship at Victory Junction, a camp that is a part of the Serious Fun Network. It was the most amazing feeling to watch my experience in that classroom turn into hands-on learning.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize the incredible opportunities that High Point University provides you. Make every connection you can, because you never know what can come from simply introducing yourself to the right person. Take the internships, go to the speaking events, take class seriously, and use the resources around you. Savor every moment you spend in such an enriching environment. Graduating during a pandemic showed me how much my HPU family cares about me and you truly don’t know what you have until it’s gone.”