Class of 2021 Outcomes: Cynthia Battaglia Cements a Career in Interior Design

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Cynthia Battaglia

Hometown: Westwood, New Jersey

Major: Interior Design

Post-graduation plans: Battaglia joins Raychel Wade Design as a junior interior designer in Manhattan. She had the opportunity to work with Raychel Wade as an intern, and gained the full experience and greater knowledge of what it takes to be an interior designer. She will be shadowing and working along side her to gain experience in all aspects of the industry. This includes working one on one with multiple clients and vendors, choosing material and finishing selections, writing up schedules, managing orders and on-site deliveries, creating original ideas by drawing up floor plans/elevations, presentation skills, the experience of multiple site visits with architects and various trades, and lastly the entire process of a new construction project from start to finish. 

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has not only prepared me for this position at Raychel Wade Design and my future, but also in general to take on the real world! Inside of the classroom, professors and fellow classmates always built close knit relationships that created a comfortable environment that allowed me to be myself, grow and strive for success everyday, and most importantly taught me to step out of my comfort zone. All of these things learned inside the classroom, were present and relevant for everything else while attending HPU. Around campus there are endless opportunities to use these skills for your personal growth, and put them to the test. One major opportunity that played a key role as an interior design major, was having the chance to work with multiple companies at the High Point Furniture Market. Through this I have created connections in New York, Connecticut and even California that still remain today. Being apart of Greek organizations, extracurricular activities, High Point athletic teams, and always trying to be involved on campus has taught me to never miss that chance to take on an opportunity, because you never know where it may lead you in the future! The Office of Career and Professional Development helped me to create the perfect resume and cover letter, as well as helped me understand the process of taking the initial steps to reach out and make connections. They were always there to help and only wanted the best for you to see you succeed.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is my interior design professor, Brandon Jones. From my very first class freshman year, to now my last as a senior, his passion, superior knowledge and kindhearted personality made every day of this long, hard journey possible. His one-of a-kind, and easy going personality made everyday coming to class truly enjoyable. Professor Jones only ever wants the best for his students. I am so thankful for him believing in me from the start, pushing me to improve and succeed everyday.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “It is impossible to pick just one, but one of my favorite moments while at High Point University, was having the opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy. Unfortunately due to the global pandemic, our time was cut short, but this taught me to never take anything for granted and always take advantage of every little moment and opportunity that comes along. Studying in Florence, Italy, at the Institute of Lorenzo de Medici, I saw the amazing architecture, historical sites and aspects of design that we have studied in courses over the years in-person, which was truly eye-opening.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen is to never take a moment at High Point University for granted. It goes by in the blink of an eye, and if you wait to take on that opportunity thrown your way you will miss it. Take chances, step out of your comfort zone and create relationships with everyone you meet. Those moments with your friends, classmates, and professors is what is going to make this the most enjoyable and memorable experience of your life!”