Class of 2021 Outcomes: Samantha Spurr Starts an Interior Design Career

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Samantha Spurr

Hometown: Warren, New Jersey

Major: Interior Design

Post-graduation plans: Spurr joins Interior Motives Inc. as an interior designer where she will be working with the successful commercial and residential firm that she previously interned with. Spurr will work closely with team members to create beautiful designs all around the country and provide intricate spaces for clients.

How HPU helped you get there: “The interior design program at High Point is definitely the place I needed to be to further develop my talent. The professors were definitely tough, but that was required in order for us to become design professionals. Although at times these courses were vigorous and extremely challenging, I would have never changed anything about it. I truly can’t believe I am already walking away from HPU as a graduate with this kind of knowledge and confidence. As a freshman, it didn’t seem attainable. I am extremely thankful for the work ethic that was enforced during my time as a design student because that is something that will constantly make me stand out from a lot of people throughout my life and career.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Mr. Jones and Dr. Nichols both encouraged me in different ways of design and impacted me the most. I learned so much from them in their own ways of teaching. Dr. Nichols changed the way I look at human behavior and how that impacts every day design that most people don’t even notice. The psychology behind interior design is what interests me the most and studying societal behaviors with Dr. Nichols made me become a more well rounded designer. Mr. Jones instilled a lot of technicalities and logistics of design into my mind. I learned so much about the technology we need as designers to create our visions and his teaching made a lot of my projects so successful.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Finding friends with the same passions as me changed my life. It created so much motivation and energy within me to become better. It also made the work so much more exciting and inspiring because I would see the incredible designs my friends would make.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I think that constantly striving for more for yourself is the best way to stay motivated and stay interested in your career. For a while, I thought it was a bad way of thinking about life, that nothing was ever enough. However, I changed my perspective when I realized that constantly wanting more for yourself is never a bad thing. Challenge your talents constantly and continue to push yourself until you are impressed with your own work.”