Class of 2021 Outcomes: Katherine Pinto Specializes in Special Education

Jul 13th, 2021

IMG 6668 e1626803852912
Katherine Pinto
Parsippany, New Jersey
Special Education
Internship / Job
Special Education Teacher
Ocean View NPS

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Katherine Pinto

Hometown: Parsippany, New Jersey

Major: Special education

Post-graduation plans: Pinto joins Ocean View NPS as a special education teacher where she will be teaching a class of 12 students and will be a case manager for all her students to create IEP’s (Individualized Education Plan) and hold IEP meetings.

How HPU helped you get there: “During my time as a student at High Point University, I was able to work in a multitude of different classroom settings. Starting my freshman year at HPU, I had in classroom experiences before starting my student teaching placement. I have worked in a number of K-5 and high school adapted classroom settings. Through these experiences, I have learned and possessed a number of skills and have had a ton of classroom experience. Through my classroom experience, I have also seen the IEP process, and how to effectively run a successful IEP meeting.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU would have to be Dr. Summey. The constant support and encouragement I received from Dr. Summey was truly incredible. She always would check in with me to see how I was doing and ask if I needed anything. I am so grateful for her and her guidance throughout this year.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU would be the first time I entered a classroom my freshman year. I always knew that teaching was something that I wanted to do, and being able to get into a classroom so early on was incredible.”

Advice for underclassmen: “My advice for underclassmen would be to build connections early on. The connections formed can lead to internship and job opportunities.”