Internship Profile: Ashton Kajcienski Joins the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Jul 20th, 2021

Ashton K Headshot
Ashton Kajcienski
Bahama, North Carolina
Graphic Design
Internship / Job
Fan Engagement Intern
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Name: Ashton Kajcienski

Hometown: Bahama, North Carolina

Major: Design studies, concentrating in graphic design with a minor in event management

Internship: Kajcienski joins the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a fan engagement intern. She interacts with the thousands of guests daily, implements engagement programs throughout the Rock Hall, and creates educational activities for the Rock Hall EDU program, which provides teachers with educational materials that can be utilized in their classroom using Rock & Roll as a driving tool.

How HPU helped you get there: “Through HPU and their various opportunities over the years, I have learned critical thinking, public speaking, professionalism, and social skills that have made me stand out against my competitors. High Point University’s graphic design program has given me the tools to excel in this internship, and I would not be where I am today without the knowledge and support I have gained from this program. As a freshman, I went to Emily Long in the Office of Career and Professional Development and she helped me create a cover letter and resume to apply to this internship in 2018. She also helped me get in contact with the Rock Hall, which two years later I was able to use that same contact as a point of reference.”

Most Impactful Mentor: “Janis Dougherty has been my most impactful mentor at HPU thanks to her teaching style and never ending support. She really pushed me to make the move of becoming a graphic design major. The way that she teaches her classes with such clarity and flexibility to explore your personal design styles without judgement or criticism was something that I have never experienced in the art field. Her passion, her kindness and respect to her students is overwhelming in the best way. I’ve taken more classes with her in following semesters, and even though each class is so different, she never wavers how she treats students and her excitement about design. I know I can go to her about anything, and she will give advice, support and help me through it all! She is one of the best human beings I’ve ever met. Dr. Brianna Clark has also been an impactful mentor for me in a different way. Dr. Clark has given me unbelievable opportunities to the professional world through volunteer experiences, classroom drills and activities for personal growth. She gave me “real talk” about the industry. When possible, Dr. Clark always makes sure there is equal opportunity among the students, and brings awareness to students about what is happening in the industry and how to combat inequalities or problems that have not been widely addressed. Dr. Clark and Dr. Wiitala, both in the Event Management department, have pushed me professionally, and encourage me to believe that I can do whatever I want to do, no matter how big the dream. They celebrate every success and encourage me through every downfall. ”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “This internship has changed my life forever. I will now move forward noting that I worked at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, creating graphics, interacting with guests, and working in a fast paced, exciting environment. I have picked up valuable skills that will be applicable to any job in the future. This internship as given me a direction to pursue, and contacts and experiences that I will never forget.”