HPU Graduates Fifth Physician Assistant Class

Aug 26th, 2021

HIGH POINT, N.C., August 26, 2021 – High Point University is celebrating the graduates from the fifth physician assistant (PA) class as they now prepare to head into the professional medical field. Thirty-three students, who were selected out of more than 1,400 applicants, were presented with the Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree on August 14.

“I am so proud of the members of the Class of 2021. These students displayed tenacity during their PA education,” said Dr. James Johnson, chair and program director of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies. “These students maintained focus and determination despite the curriculum delivery changes required by the COVID-19 pandemic. They stayed the course despite significant challenges, and they are going to be great patient advocates as they begin their PA careers.”

The program, housed in HPU’s Congdon School of Health Sciences, is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, prestigious faculty and rigorous curriculum. The Congdon School of Health Sciences and Fred Wilson School of Pharmacy create a cornerstone for medical innovation at HPU.

One of the newest graduates, Sarah Brown, credits HPU’s PA program with landing her “dream job.” She will be working as a PA in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

HPU 2 PA 2021 Graduation Sarah Brown
Sarah Brown, originally from Grand Blanc, Michigan, landed her dream job as a PA in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

“The past 27 months spent in High Point University’s PA program has been one of the toughest yet most rewarding experiences I have ever faced in my life,” said Brown, from Grand Blanc, Michigan. “The plethora of opportunities I was able to experience, the use of state-of-the-art facilities and the simulation center, and the incredible, selfless and extraordinary faculty and staff all helped me along the way. HPU’s PA program equipped me with both the knowledge and tools I need to excel not only in my clinical rotations, but also for my future career as a PA in the NICU.”