Internsip Profile: Hannah Sowers Designs with Furnitureland South

Sep 10th, 2021

IMG 0086

READ MORE INTERNSHIP PROFILES

Name: Hannah Sowers

Hometown: Roanoke, Virginia

Major: Interior design

Internship: Sowers interned with Furnitureland South in Jamestown, North Carolina as a contract design intern.

How HPU helped you get there: “During my time at HPU, I have developed so much confidence in myself as a future professional. I have been educated on and given the right tools and resources to build my personal brand and platform. I have utilized my mentors, advisors and career and professional development as guides, making connections, networking, and learning what technical and interpersonal skills it takes to make it in the industry. Without taking advantage of all of the resources we have on campus, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in today.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “The entire interior design faculty department are so amazing and have made such an impact on my experience as an interior design student at HPU. Professors Brandon Jones and Cathy Nowicki were the first two instructors that I was able to take interior design courses from. They, Mr. John Linn, and Dr. Jane Nichols have provided me with so much knowledge on the industry, giving me so many different perspectives on how one might take their degree down a specific career path. This department is filled with faculty who are true professionals with a lot of experience working in the field. Dr. Nichols and Professor Nowicki both have so many connections, especially here locally, which is reassuring for me to know I feel prepared come time to apply to jobs and graduate school, when graduation comes around next May.”

What has your internship experience been like, and how is it preparing you for your future?: “My internship experience has truly exceeded all expectations I had going in. Furnitureland South, as a business and company, is truly remarkable not only with the extreme amount of success they have but also with the true and genuine family culture it presents to all of its employees. As much information our amazing interior design professors teach to us inside the classroom, being able to be in the real working environment, working directly with real clients.”