Class of 2021 Outcomes: Laney Sellinger Becomes a Junior Designer

Oct 18th, 2021

IMG 5717
Laney Sellinger
Darnestown, Maryland
Interior Design
AvantStay

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Laney Sellinger

Hometown: Darnestown, Maryland

Major: Interior Design

Post-graduation plans: Sellinger joins AvantStay as a junior designer in Nashville, Tennessee where she helps to design experiential, beautiful homes in top travel destinations across the country from LA to New York.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU and my professors in the David R. Hayworth School of Arts and Design stressed going above and beyond in my work. This pushed me to want to achieve more and led me to have an internship in my field each summer. This experience allowed me to have two jobs with interior design firms in my dream city before graduating which in turn, gave me the knowledge and experience to be in the position I am in now less than six months after graduation. I used the Office of Career & Professional Development many times throughout my four years for resume help.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Jane Nichols, my advisor and professor, was my most impactful mentor. She encouraged me, challenged me and made me a better designer. She helped me to believe in myself. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “It’s impossible for me to pick just one moment. What really sticks with me are the long, quiet walks I got to take around campus with my dog. I loved getting to take the time each day to just relax and take in the beauty of the campus. It was a time for me to step back from the stress of school work and just live in the moment and appreciate the incredible place I got to call home.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Use all of the tools HPU gives you! Go to the Office of Career & Professional Development, land an internship and seek advice from your professors.”