Class of 2022 Outcomes: Gianna Schiavo Consults With Confidence

Apr 05th, 2022

gschiavo-headshot-1-scaled.jpg
Gianna Schiavo 
Buena, New Jersey
International Business
Sendero

HPU graduates are leading prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2022:

Name: Gianna Schiavo

Hometown: Buena, New Jersey

Major: International business

Post-graduation plans: Schiavo will be joining Sendero, a management consulting firm, as an associate consultant in Dallas, Texas. She will be working with a team to provide companies with solutions to issues they are facing — focusing on strategic planning, digital transformation and organizational effectiveness.

How HPU helped you get there: “Support from my advisors and professors gave me confidence in my abilities and helped me figure out how my skills and interests align with different career paths. Through the Office of Career and Professional Development, I gained help building my resume, attended HPU in the City in Washington, D.C. and took advantage of networking experiences early on. Throughout freshman and sophomore year, I applied to various internships through the Office of Career and Professional Development and gained strong interview skills from mock interviews. After junior year, I interned with Coca-Cola Consolidated which was possible through connections I had made through their office. This internship experience allowed me to apply skills and knowledge I’ve gained in the classroom and other job experiences in a real-world setting.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU is Dr. Tessa Gurney. Dr. Gurney has been a part of my HPU journey since freshman year, and she encouraged me to apply to both academic and career-related opportunities. Her support has helped me develop as a student and person and has taught me the importance of applying for opportunities even when you think you may not get them.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was sophomore year when I had the opportunity to represent HPU at a fellowship conference hosted by The National Italian American Foundation in Washington, D.C. This was the first time I had applied to a fellowship or scholarship program outside of HPU. Attending this weekend allowed me to connect with students at other universities who had similar interests, and this award gave me the confidence I needed when applying for future opportunities. The experience I gained through this process and event has helped me while applying for internships, my job and earning a Gilman Scholarship.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Any experience is relevant when applying for opportunities. Whether it be a part-time job, internship or class project, I promise it is relevant. Finding a way to articulate how those experiences have shaped your skills is key to securing more opportunities.”