Family Friday Staff Feature: Lindsey Greear

May 20th, 2022

We are committed to delivering daily on HPU’s promise to our students: At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. To celebrate the caring people of HPU, we are regularly highlighting staff and faculty members.

Lindsey Greear joined the HPU family last August as a learning excellence specialist. In her role, Greear helps students develop their academic and executive functioning skills by reviewing grades, classes, upcoming assignments and comments from professors. With her students, she discusses academic strategies to help them continue to grow in their education. She also connects them to resources, helps set personal goals and provides additional support they may need to be successful at HPU and in the future.

How do you contribute to HPU’s mission to ensure every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people?

Working one-on-one with students each week creates a personal connection between the student and HPU. I am their advocate and their biggest supporter here on campus. Many of the families we work with are several hours from North Carolina and are comforted by the fact they have us in their child’s corner, both academically and personally.

How do you help students develop life skills that they will use to achieve lives of success and significance after they graduate from HPU?

My students and I establish personalized academic goals, and we review those plans weekly. Based on their progress, I provide them with the strategies that they need to achieve their goals. This means we work on things like scheduling and time management, developing life skills and how to communicate effectively. This is all in addition to making sure they are doing well in their classes. I want to inspire them to be independent because it is our job to prepare them for a future where they will be the leaders.

What is a way that you contribute to students’ personal growth outside the classroom?

I encourage my students to step outside of their comfort zones because you grow more when you experience new things. I help connect them to Student Life, to clubs and service groups that may interest them and the various events offered around campus. Learning Excellence also works with other departments like Student Success and the Office of Career and Professional Development to encourage our students to explore everything HPU has to offer and seek out internships and career opportunities to get them excited about their future!

What are you most excited about for the next academic year?

I look forward to my students succeeding! Every time they get a grade they are proud of, meet a personal goal they set for themselves or receive praise from a professor, it is reason to celebrate!

What’s one thing you want students and parents to know about HPU?

HPU is a place that will provide you with every opportunity for success. Take advantage of them all!

What’s one way you generate creativity or productivity?

Spending time outdoors helps me feel more creative and inspires me to do more! HPU is a beautiful place to work and learn. Step outside, take a deep breath of fresh air and feel the sun on your face – it is good for the soul! I have a lot of plants in my office, and have cultivated a comfortable space to inspire my students. In my personal life, I have two boys and we have impromptu dance parties in our kitchen, which always makes my boys laugh, and their laughter is the best.

What is your favorite quote?

I have two! My first is the motto “Everything happens for a reason,” because I truly believe that. My second is a lyric from a Miranda Lambert song, “It takes all kinds of kinds,” because it’s one of the most important lessons I’ve learned in my life.

What is your favorite place on campus?

My favorite place is the Butterfly Café. I love sitting outside on the patio or in the breezeway. I also enjoy walking through the Conservatory. It is beautiful and feels like a world away from work. Plus, the food is great.

What do you love most about working at HPU?

I love that I make a difference every day in my job! I am a safe space for my students. I get to watch them grow week to week, and I play an integral role in that development. I also work with amazing people in a place that truly values their employees. I cannot say enough fabulous things about what it is like to work for Learning Excellence and HPU. Our director, Britt Carl, took a chance on me, and I am forever grateful!